Duncan & Toplis
The application process is open now for September 2020 intake and will close on 1 March 2020
The Trainee Accountant may be someone with no experience or some financial experience. The main responsibility is the initial preparation of client accounts, where necessary with assistance to reach final stage, for manager or partner approval/signing off.
- The preparation of client accounts to part or final completion stage dependent on the complexity of the business. This includes completion of VAT returns, bank reconciliation and assisting with audits as required.
- To actively take on all administrative duties as required.
- When the opportunity arises to deal effectively with clients within his/her range of expertise and to refer to their Senior/Manager before any advice is given.
- To report promptly to their Senior/Manager/Director any concerns which may affect the firm’s client relationship e.g. money laundering, unethical business practice, complaints etc.
- To respect client confidentiality and report any issues which may affect client relationships to their Senior/Manager.
- Must be academically able to undertake AAT studies or have part completed such.
- Must be or academically able to prepare routine accounts to final stage and assist with the preparation of more complex accounts after initial training.
- Must be aware of the importance of client relationships and their own limitations when speaking to clients.
- Must possess IT skills to operate in-house programmes and prepare and develop spread sheets as necessary.
- Must be or academically able to become fully conversant with accounts preparation programmes.
- Must possess or academically be able to possess a basic knowledge of accounting standards and the accounting provisions of the Companies Act.