The Tax Assistant is responsible for providing general tax administrative and technical support. They will also manage a portfolio of clients, under the guidance of a manager, and complete basic personal and business tax computations.
The key responsibilities of the tax assistant are:
- To prepare personal, partnership and trust tax computations under supervision, including annual tax credit forms and P11D’s.
- To perform tax administrative duties for the office.
- To undertake the scanning of documentation as and when required.
- To keep up to date with changes in tax legislation.
- When the opportunity arises, deal effectively with clients within their range of expertise and to refer to their senior/manager before any advice is given.
- To proactively manage their own personal study to improve their knowledge and technical abilities.
- To respect client confidentiality and report any issues which may affect client relationships to their director.
- To promptly report to their office director any concerns which may affect the firm’s client relationship e.g. money laundering, unethical business practice, complaints etc
The ideal candidate will:
- Be AAT or ATT qualified or have practical experience of completing tax returns and P11D’s.
- Be able to prepare routine personal and partnership tax returns and assist with the preparation of more complex returns.
- Be aware of the importance of client relationships and their own limitations when speaking to clients.
- Possess suitable IT skills to operate in-house programs and prepare and develop spreadsheets as necessary.
- Have a basic understanding of tax and business issues.