The manager is responsible for the provision of specialist tax and VAT advice and planning for clients across the practice and on special projects. Also to ensure that all staff under his/her control receive necessary job training and support to meet business and personal goals.
- To undertake tax projects/advisory work within both the VAT and direct tax advisory service line either for the firm’s existing client portfolio in agreement with the relevant director or for prospective clients as appropriate.
- Responsibility for managing all advisory project work and billing within a project, ensuring budgets are met.
- Assisting the Tax advisory and VAT directors and other directors with VAT and direct tax advisory work, including scoping the projects and fee proposals.
- To provide advice and assistance to individuals within the practice as and when required.
- Working with and answering queries from directors and clients in a timely and accurate manner within agreed limits of responsibility.
- To keep up to date with changes in tax legislation and the application of this knowledge to clients affairs.
- To identify opportunities when reviewing client affairs and action these as appropriate.
- To develop others within the tax team with technical ability as well as their general development.
- To respect client confidentiality and report any issues which may affect client relationships to their Director.
- To promptly report to their Partner any concerns which may affect the firm’s client relationship e.g. money laundering, unethical business practice, complaints etc
- Must be CTA qualified or equivalent with a detailed knowledge of UK tax legislation and implications for clients.
- Ideally must be able to deliver advice in both VAT and at least one direct tax specialism. On the job training will be given in order to broaden knowledge in either of these areas where exposure to one of these taxes is weaker than the other.
- Must be able to actively manage own workloads and take responsibility for own development.
- Must be able to demonstrate effective time management and communication skills.
- Must be able to demonstrate effective client inter-personal skills including the management of client expectations.
- To ensure that staff under the manager’s control are supported and assist them to achieve agreed targets in their performance and development.
- To ensure that all staff within his/her supervision receive effective job training and experience to compliment their studies, whilst at the same time meeting work priorities.
- Must be able to work well with other Managers/ Senior Managers and ensure the department works well as a team.